About the UP College of Music

 

 

Established by the Board of Regent in its 773rd meeting held on August 30, 1968 under the Administration of President Carlos P. Romulo, the U.P. College of Music serves as catalyst in national development by providing quality and professional instruction in diverse areas of specialization in music.

 

Its college administration and faculty are committed to provide a meaningful and personally relevant learning of music, as well as to guide students in their pursuit of truth in the context of academic excellence.

 

The College is a veritable source of strength and knowledge, as well as an inspiration, for independent creative, and scholarly musicians, in short artists. Its graduates stand out not only as exemplary artists and academicians but as integral persons with keen perception of their duties and responsibilities as citizens of their country and of the world.

 

Seven National Artists in Music have come from the College.

 

Current Administration of the College.

 


 

Since its foundation in 1916, twelve directors or deans have served the institution in the past.

 

Read more »

 


Our Mission

In 1916, the aim of the Conservatory was to educate pupils in a serious study of music with a view to a professional career in some branch of the art. The Conservatory, therefore, arranged its curriculum so that all pupils in its regular course who were studying to be teachers, singers or performers on any instrument pursued theoretical branches which were necessary in their particular class, together with instrumental and vocal practices.

The formal opening of the Conservatory as a unit of the University of the Philippines took place on 4 September 1916. This was in a large rented building at 963 R. Hidalgo St., Quiapo, Manila. A handful of students, mostly children of prominent Manilans, were the first enrollees. The first director was Mr. George Wallace, a voice professor from the New England Conservatory of Boston, Massachussetts, with Mr. Fernando Canon as secretary.

In 1924, the Conservatory moved to Isaac Peral and Nebraska Streets in Ermita, then to Villamor Hall in 1933.

It finally moved to its present location in Diliman, Quezon City in 1948. In that year the College used to be located at the administration building of the University until the present in music building named after the famous Filipino composer and alumnus of the conservatory, Nicanor Abelardo. The present building was built in 1963 with the assistance of the United States Agency for International Development. A new wing called was added and inaugurated in February 1991.