In 1916, the Conservatory aimed at the education of pupils in a serious study of music with a view to a professional career in some branch of the art. The Conservatory, therefore, arranged its curriculum so that all pupils in its regular courses who wanted to be teachers, singers or performers on any instrument also pursued theoretical subjects which were necessary in a holistic education. These were taken together with instrumental and vocal lessons.
The formal opening of the Conservatory as a unit of the University of the Philippines took place on 4 September 1916. This was held in a large rented building at 963 R. Hidalgo St., Quiapo, Manila. A handful of students, mostly children of prominent Manilans, were the first enrollees. The first director was Mr. George Wallace, a voice professor from the New England Conservatory of Boston, Massachussetts, with Mr. Fernando Canon as secretary.
In 1924, the Conservatory moved to Isaac Peral and Nebraska Streets in Ermita, then to Villamor Hall in 1933.
THE CONSER – AREA 1, DILIMAN Courtesy of Arch. Ringer Manalang, UP Office of the Campus Architect