The Conservatory of Music was created as one of the units of
the University of the Philippines by Republic Act 2623 on
February 4, 1916. It opened on September 4, 1916. From that time
until the latter part of 1924, there was no music library to
speak of. It was not until about 1925 when the UP Conservatory
of Music Library was first organized.
The growth and
development of the library was rudely interrupted by
World War II. The biggest push to the growth of the
library was made in 1954 when the U.P. Board of Regents
recommended for its rehabilitation. The re-organization of the
library was undertaken by its newly appointed librarian,
Professor and Former Dean Ruby K. Mangahas.
The Conservatory of Music was elevated to the stature of a
College in August 1968.
MISSION OF THE COLLEGE OF MUSIC LIBARY
The College of Music Library pursues a program that aside from
gearing its activities and services in consonance with the
objectives of the school of which it is a part, it includes the
following points: 1) To develop its reference and
bibliographical collection of music research works; 2) To build
an adequate sound video recording collection for listening and
study purposes; 3) To encourage Filipino composers to make their
works available through publication or other means so that
Philippine music and musical thought will be widely known; 4) To
build a satisfactory collection of Asiatic music for purposes of
study, research and understanding; 5) To cooperate with the
study or work programs of the various departments of the
College. Thus, its basic function is to provide support to the
instructional, research, and extension services of the College
The College of Music Library is at the Ground Floor of Abelardo
Hall located at the corner of Osmena and Magsaysay Avenues in
the University of the Philippines, Diliman. The library operates
on a semi-closed shelf system wherein only faculty members,
currently enrolled graduate and doctoral students of the
University are allowed to enter the stack area which houses the
Filipiniana, serial, and special collections. Undergraduate
students are serviced through the charging desk.
The library offers circulation, reserve, reference, reader’s
advisory service and dubbing service during the regular service
hours. Other services offered are internet access, photocopying,
current awareness, scanning, printing, interlibrary loan,
referrals, and library orientation tour.
Regular Semester Monday to Friday 8:00am- 12:00 noon; 1:00pm-5:00pm
The Music Library’s working force includes four library staff:
one professional librarian and three support staff. The Library
was ably supported by part-time staff which included 8 practicum
students/on-the-job- trainees from the School of Library and
Information Studies who did an important aspect of archival
work, e.g., restoration of original Filipino manuscripts of
well-known Filipino composers, e.g. Nicanor Abelardo and Antonio
The Library has a well-equipped listening room. Found in the
listening room are the audio-visual equipment, e.g. dubbing
machine components, compact disc players, audio cassette
recorders, VHS player, VCD player, DVD player, and television
sets. The listening room also houses a good working collection
of sound and video recordings, e.g. compact discs, recording of
students’ recitals, concerts of visiting foreign and local
artists in audio cassettes, and other published audio recordings
in phonorecords ranging from the traditional (ethnic) to jazz
and musicals as well. It houses also some video compact discs,
digital video discs, open-reel, VHS, teaching aids and other
materials for the use of music education classes
FILIPINIANA AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
A very strong feature of the library is its vast collection of a
well-organized Filipiniana materials and a special collection of
ethnomusicology consisting of books, scores (manuscripts and
published) of well-known Filipino composers, research works,
theses, dissertations, clipped newspaper and periodical articles
on music, the College resident performing groups’ individual
files, souvenir programs and archival materials. The section
serves as a reference library to music and non-music faculty and
The Reserve collection consists of textbooks and collateral
reading materials recommended by faculty members as required
readings for the music courses. The books are on closed shelves
and maybe borrowed for two hours. With proper reservation, they
are allowed for overnight use.
General reference books include atlases, dictionaries,
encyclopedias, handbooks, and indices. Reference materials also
include dictionaries and handbooks on music and dance.
Freely accessible circulation books are arranged according to
their call numbers in the shelves found in the Reading Area of
The Serials Collection includes foreign journals on music and
Activities: 1. Digitization of Audio Recordings particularly those in
open-reel. These include students’ recitals and performances of
local and foreign artists held at the Abelardo Hall Auditorium
during the 70s. This project is in coordination with the UP
Center for Ethnomusicology.
2. Restoration and digitization of original Filipino
manuscripts. The project started on July 24, 2012 thru a
research grant from UP-OVCRD. Dr. Jose Buenconsejo, Dean of the
College of Music spearheaded the project in consultation and
coordination with SLIS faculty: Professor Johann Frederick
Cabbab and Prof. Iyra Buenrostro-Cabbab.
Restoration Part 1 and Part 2
The library operates on a semi-closed shelf system wherein only
faculty members, currently enrolled graduate and doctoral
students of the University are allowed to enter the stack area
which houses the Filipiniana, serial and special collections.
Undergraduate students are serviced through the charging desk.
The library offers circulation, reserve, reference, reader's
advisory service and dubbing service during the regular service
Other services offered are internet access, WebOPAC,
photocopying, bibliography & indexing, database searching,
indexes searching, current awareness services, document
delivery, scanning, interlibrary loan, referrals, library
orientation & tour, and online library instruction.
The College has a total of 397 enrolled students for the First
Semester of Academic Year 2011-2012. Its population consists
also of 40 full time faculty members and 37 lecturers; 14
administrative staff, 3 REPS, and 4 library staff. Average
number of users daily is 103.
The library has a well equipped listening room which also serves
as a viewing room for some music classes. Found in the listening
room are the audio-visual equipment, e.g., dubbing machine
components (7); compact disc players (8); audio cassette
recorders (12); vhs player (1); vcd player (1); dvd player (1);
and television sets (2). The listening room also houses a good
working collection of sound and video recordings, e.g., compact
discs, audio cassettes of recital programs, phonorecords,
cd-roms , video compact dics, digital video discs, video home
system , and other teaching aids/materials for use in the music
education classes. Sound and video recordings are for listening
room use only. However, faculty members of the college can
borrow these materials for classroom use.
Music students are given priority in the use of the listening
room. Dubbing service for music students is accepted without
charging any fee. However, non-music students and non-UP
researchers may avail of the dubbing service for a fee subject
to the rules and regulations of the library.
TECHNICAL SERVICES (Organization, Acquisition, Budget sources,
The library acquires its materials thru purchase and gifts or
donations. The fund for the purchase of print and non-print
materials come from the Library Book Fund. Other sources of fund
are: Library Trust Fund, College Extension Program Fund, and the
Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) of the College.
The materials are organized or classified according to the
Library of Congress (LC) Classification Scheme.
OTHER INFORMATION Proposed expansion of the library and digitization of
Filipiniana music sheets and open reel tapes.
College of Music Library
Ground Floor, Abelardo Hall
University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
Phone: (632)981 8500 loc. 2634
Fax: (632)929 6963